1 Arm/leg exercises how do you log them.

Hi
    I have been using Jefit a while and have a question for the community.

If an exercise is for a single limb such as a one arm dumbbell row, presumably it is to be repeated for both arms.

How do you record this I seem to have come up with 3 options, but cannot find it explained anywhere.

- Do you add two items in the routine one for left one for right?
    - Do you assume that it is for both so only record the stats once?
    - Do you record the number of repeats for both arms and simply add them together?

Thanks in advance for any response.
    BillyHero

Senior Senior JEFIT Member John Rippon's Avatar
    The short answer is - however you like. It's no-one else's concern but for your own convenience when measuring progress - stick to the same method. I think the most popular method for a single-limb exercise is to record the weight of the dumbbell used and the reps performed by each limb (but not both!). For exercises involving lifting both limbs together (e.g. cable crossover, seated dumbbell press) some prefer to add the weight used for each limb together. However I think most simply record the weight of one of the dumbbells or set on one of the cables. Over to you! Just be aware of the different methods used if you're comparing your lifts with those that others record in their logs/posts! The guy claiming to do 10 reps dumbbell curls at 40kg (90lb) is almost certainly adding the weight of both dumbbells.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member John Rippon's Avatar
    p.s. Be aware also that the load on exercise machines are almost impossible to determine.

If you lift a dumbbell labelled 10kg you can be pretty sure the load is approximately 10kg vertically downwards!
    But if you put a 20kg weight plate on a lever chest press machine you've no easy way of telling what the load is at the handle because of the geometry of the lever, weight of the lever frame, handle, etc. The same goes for any machine involving a weight stack, rubber bands, pneumatic dashpots, etc.

If you use the same machines each time, record the 'load' in a consistent manner in whatever way is convenient ... what's recorded on the weight stack, how many rubber bands used, setting on the dashpot, or whatever. Unless you know they're using exactly the same method and exactly the same brand and model of machine, comparisons with other people's exercise logs will be meaningless.