Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Experienced Member

Smile (Almost) A 1 Year Cut & What I've Learned Along The Way

Hey forum,

I thought this may be a good place to scribble down my experiences with weight loss & muscle/strength retention over the past year.

Since 2012 I've been recording my weight in MyFitnessPal & was able to forumulate the above graph based on cloud stored data

Diet

Last year I found myself 192lb to 194lb & over weight. Although I had always gone to the gym, I was never consistent with my training & my diet was disastrous. I hit my '16 New Year’s weight loss resolution hard going on your typical boiled chicken, brown rice & broccoli style diet. As expected I fell off the wagon toward the end of January & binged hard.

March 2016; 194lb~

In mid-March 16 I picked up the torch & tried again, this time adopting the IIFYM lifestyle approach. If If Fits Your Macros isn’t a diet, it’s more a lifestyle. You put yourself in a caloric deficit or surplus depending on your goals & aim to achieve certain macronutrient targets (protein, carbs & fats) throughout each day. From what foods you get these macronutrients doesn’t matter once you remain inside of your total caloric goal. This effectively means you can fit in sweet & savoury foods that standard diets tend to restrict.

The whole approach made dieting so much easier & manageable. In terms of mental health it discouraged binge eating as it allowed me to fit in tempting foods here & there.

Tips I picked up along the way;
    1) The first four weeks are probably the worst (in terms of hunger).
    2) Vegetables are a gift from God. Ignoring the essential minerals they provide, fitting in large portions of vegetables with meals can do wonders for keeping you fuller - longer. I found going to bed hungry was extremely difficult on my willpower yet once I started having 250g – 300g of frozen vegetables with my dinner I was rarely going to sleep on an empty stomach.
    3) Sugar free drinks can counter a sweet tooth. I’m really not convinced that sweeteners pose long term health risks when consumed in moderation. If you look at the studies revolving around some of them the results have been completely misconstrued. A can of Pepsi Max or Coke Zero contains 1-2 kcals & can be a great relief for killing a sweet tooth without spending any of your daily calories.
    4) Caffeine can be a useful tool. Caffeine can supress an appetite & I found this to come in handy on days when I was trying to save up the bulk of my daily calories for dinner (on nights out).

Today I’m about 160lb.

I reckon I’ll cut up until mid-March just to hit that 1 year mark, I’ll chill at my maintenance calories for a two or three weeks (build back my glycogen levels) and then I’ll dive into a nice slow bulk. IIFYM is a widely accepted & talked about topic but if anybody has any questions on it please just shout, if I can help you I will.

Training

My training over the past year has changed as I tried out new things. I had to accept the fact that, as I’m in a caloric deficit, I won’t be gaining any muscle until the cut is over. I’ve found an UPPER (Chest & Arms), LOWER, UPPER (Back & Shoulders) routine to work the best for me. I have a compound lift I focus on for each day & put a good bit of time in that lift trying to push my Estimated 1RM up over time.

UPPER (Chest): Bench Press
    LOWER: Squat
    UPPER (Back): Overhead Press

Including warm up sets I generally do 6 – 8 sets on these movements, utilizing the 3 – 5 rep range.
    Once they’re done I focus on accessory lifts with more of a hypertrophy rep range (8 – 12 reps). Strength gains have been slow & at times can stagnate but they do exist. I usually time my refeeds around my Lower days to help my Squat & has worked out for me long term.
    I do core work usually every three days a week & I do it at home – nothing too structured, a lot of medicine ball work that usually takes around 15 minutes.

Anyway, I don't want this to come across as gloating or arrogance. I know the progress I've made isn't phenomenal or jaw dropping nor am I the biggest guy on the app. I'm just a typical Jefit user who figured on sharing his little story on the forum.

This was a great read. I know what you mean I did a year long diet myself when I first got serious about the gym. It's always trial and error figuring out what combination works the best for you. And you should be proud of the hard work that you have accomplished so far. I'm about to start toning again and this time I know what I need to do.

Nice Job, way to stay with it!

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog50000 View Post
    This was a great read. I know what you mean I did a year long diet myself when I first got serious about the gym. It's always trial and error figuring out what combination works the best for you. And you should be proud of the hard work that you have accomplished so far. I'm about to start toning again and this time I know what I need to do.
    Thank you. I can't wait to start a nice bulk. What's amazed me the most is how much my appetite & sweet tooth have diminished. The first few weeks of bulking will probably be harder than cutting!

Quote Originally Posted by paularhiatt View Post
    Nice Job, way to stay with it!
    Thanks!
    My 2016/17 Cut: [url]https://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?46054-(Almost)-A-1-Year-Cut-amp-What-I-ve-Learned-Along-The-Way[/url]

It will be. Your so use to watching what you eat. And going into the opposite direction will take time. I thought it was gonna be easy but it was harder then I thought. Took a while, but just like cutting it took trial and error to figure the best way to go.

I agree Adam, it's amazing how your appetite changes when you start working out. Your story and dedication is inspiring!

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog50000 View Post
    It will be. Your so use to watching what you eat. And going into the opposite direction will take time. I thought it was gonna be easy but it was harder then I thought. Took a while, but just like cutting it took trial and error to figure the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart3 View Post
    I agree Adam, it's amazing how your appetite changes when you start working out. Your story and dedication is inspiring!
    Thanks guys!
    My 2016/17 Cut: [url]https://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?46054-(Almost)-A-1-Year-Cut-amp-What-I-ve-Learned-Along-The-Way[/url]

great work man well done!

Great job, thanks for sharing. I'm just coming to grips that you have to pick one (cut or bulk) - I have definitely had some success over the past 8-12 months - since I have been lifting consistently (and making 1RM gains) and trying to eat healthy. I have really not lost or gained any weight (definitely replaced some fat with muscle) ... but I think I need to get serious and cut or bulk, and then the other.
    I guess cutting first makes the most sense (since I'm not significantly overweight - prob 8-12 lbs).
    Keep up the great work!

you should be proud of the hard work that you have accomplished so far. I'm about to start toning again and this time I know what I need to do. [URL="https://www.britishessaywritingservice.co.uk"]Essay Writing Service UK[/URL]