Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alcohol and Cigarettes

Ok, here is a health question about alcohol and smoking and how it impacts my workout. I am a smoker (yes, I know it's not healthy) and am wondering how smoking impacts my workout as far as muscle building. I'm guessing that it may constrict my blood vessels and flow of oxygen throughout my body, which may not be a good thing. Is there anything else? Or am I correct about the above?

Also, I'm trying to gain buku mass. I am 6'3" and weight 163 lbs, I've always had the same build. Although tall and lean, I consider myself to be defined but would like to add size to the definition. I am taking a weight gainer (banana cream flavor) that when mixed with Jim Beam bourbon, tastes delicious! Is this a bad combo?

If you feel like yelling at me for my health habits, feel free! I am a former Marine and have had my share of ass chewings in the past. But sincerely, and comments on the alcohol and smoking and the impact both have on bodybuilding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Experienced Member
    I don't even know where to begin. I'll save you the ass chewing but it sounds like you understand these are not only bad habits to have but they also negatively affect the results of your training. If you are mixing Jim beam in your weight gainer that might be a red flag for I have a problem. To be open and honest and I’m sure everyone in here will agree. You might want to put weight training on hold and work towards quitting smoking and reducing the amount of alcohol consumption. I think if you got these down your already helping yourself out. I don’t think you can honestly expect results that I think you think are obtainable if you don’t.

If you're having to mix JB with your weight gainer, that must be one NASTY tasting powder.

Jim beam with weight gainer?! sounds like its gotta be nasty tasting but think about the cost of it too!!! Jim beam aint cheap over here!!!

I smoke myself... and play rugby, and to be honest yes I want to quit but it doesn't have much of an impact on my weight training, only on my fitness! On the other hand now I have a set routine that I've been doing for a couple of weeks I find I smoke alot less... (check out my Power muscle burn 4 day split) I do drink on some weekends too; sometimes you just have to go down the pub and get tanked up! But if you want to get definition then drinking is no good as a pint of beer has LOADS of calories in it!

Get a set routine in place and you'll find you'll have more motivation to cut down on drinking and smoking.

Good luck and when times get hard look towards your goal!!

Jamie

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    I always have a fag (smoke for all your americans) before the gym and afterwards and i've not really noticed much difference

Although having a fag break part way through your workout will just ruin anything afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by wightsa View Post
    I am taking a weight gainer (banana cream flavor) that when mixed with Jim Beam bourbon, tastes delicious!
    LMFAO! I about fell outta my chair.

So as you probably know, alcohol isn't a free ride in terms of nutrition. 1.5oz is about 95 calories. Alcohol also triggers the conversion of glycogen stores into sugar. One thing I will say about it is that it does in fact increase ATP production (hence the "warming" effect). But along the way, it's not doing anything good (e.g. acetaldehyde). But I'm assuming you're smart enough to realize all the negative effects.

Get some better powders. If it has to be mixed with Jim Beam it's got to awful tasting already. And work on breaking those habits.

wow

Alcohol and Cigarettes affect (among many others) AVP, Testosterone, and sytemic O2 levels.

AVP (Arginine vasopressin) is the diuretic that makes you urinate so much when you drink. AVP tricks the body into releasing fluids essentially draining you of much needed fluids as well as the nutrients in those fluids.

Drink alcohol and you lose testosterone the main anabolic substance in your body. Yes you will produce more once the alcohol leaves your system but in the meantime your serum levels are all over the place. You cannot manipulate Test without paying the price in the currency of lean muscle.

Smoking - vasoconstrictor and oxygen depleter. Nothing else needs saying here.

After a good party you will wake up with low testosterone, malnurished, dehydrated, and probably somewhat disappointed. This means you start off every day waaaaaaay behind where your normal self would start. Any supplements or good eating will be first used to bring you to an even keel. If you were to bring your systemic levels to normal throughout the day you wreck it all again at night when you crack open the Beam. Nowhere in there did I mention growth. Realistically you cannot bring levels around through the course of one day so you live your life depleted of basic necessities. Unless those habits change there is minimal chance of physical progress in the gym and a very high potential for these habits to manifest in serious illness or disease.

You have much bigger fish to fry than the flavor of your weight gainer.

I just say you to quit these unhealthy habits, smoking is the worst activity that we do with our body. Although drinking alcohol is also dangerous for health. They produce lack of stamina and also increase chances of breathing diseases. They soon destroy your physical and mental health.
    Last edited by Syndi; 01-12-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Opusarlo View Post
    Alcohol and Cigarettes affect (among many others) AVP, Testosterone, and sytemic O2 levels.

AVP (Arginine vasopressin) is the diuretic that makes you urinate so much when you drink. AVP tricks the body into releasing fluids essentially draining you of much needed fluids as well as the nutrients in those fluids.

Drink alcohol and you lose testosterone the main anabolic substance in your body. Yes you will produce more once the alcohol leaves your system but in the meantime your serum levels are all over the place. You cannot manipulate Test without paying the price in the currency of lean muscle.

Smoking - vasoconstrictor and oxygen depleter. Nothing else needs saying here.

After a good party you will wake up with low testosterone, malnurished, dehydrated, and probably somewhat disappointed. This means you start off every day waaaaaaay behind where your normal self would start. Any supplements or good eating will be first used to bring you to an even keel. If you were to bring your systemic levels to normal throughout the day you wreck it all again at night when you crack open the Beam. Nowhere in there did I mention growth. Realistically you cannot bring levels around through the course of one day so you live your life depleted of basic necessities. Unless those habits change there is minimal chance of physical progress in the gym and a very high potential for these habits to manifest in serious illness or disease.

You have much bigger fish to fry than the flavor of your weight gainer.
    I think alcohol is more dangerous than cigarette. i know what is the main element of alcohol. so we have to remain far from alcohol. what is your next plan mention it here. you can right about how we give up our bad habits.

what about e cigs?