Arrow Finding a meal plan/diet that works for me

I'm nearly 31. I have 2 kids; the youngest being 8 months old. I've never really worked out before kids bc I didn't need to.. I felt that I looked great. Now, I am trying to slim down, tone and build muscle. I have about 45-50 excess pounds to lose before I'm no longer, statistically, considered obese.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to get this weight off. It's been 3 months in the gym 5-6 days a week unless I or my kids are SUPER sick. I've been doing the brown rice, chicken, black beans and broccoli thing for 2 months.. I personally think that's fine for my husband but not for me.. I'm a sahm. I'm not entirely physical all the time to need the carbs.

I'm not sure how many calories I need.. I've been trying for 1200. Three 300 calorie meals and three 100 calorie snacks..

Any advice, meal plans, information y'all can toss my way to steer me in the right direction?? I'm starting to get discouraged and I really don't want to do that..

Thanks (in advance).

Experienced Member

Flexible Dieting/If It Fits Your Macros

Quote Originally Posted by MLGHGF-Wife View Post
    ...I've been doing the brown rice, chicken, black beans and broccoli thing for 2 months
    I tried the whole "clean eating" approach to my diet in early 2016 & it did not go well. It's too hardcore, mentally draining & I've found it to encouraged binge eating. Have you heard of Flexible Dieting or If It Fits Your Macros? I recommend it strongly!

I'm not sure how many calories I need
    I think this needs to be your starting point, you can't begin to tackle weight loss without knowing how much fuel your body needs every day. Unfortunately there's no bulletproof formula of determining exactly how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight or lose weight. There are some handy calculators you can find online that will provide you with a starting figure but it might take 2-3 weeks of trial & error before you close in on your number. Being honest 1300kcal seems really low (then again I don't know your height, weight, or weekly weight loss goals). I have a link before for a handy online calculator that will provide you with a starting point of how many calories your body needs to maintain its weight.

https://www.drphoenyx.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-to-lose-weight/

Once you've calculated your maintenance calories knock about 400kcal - 500kcal off that number to put yourself in a daily caloric deficit. So long as you remain in a caloric deficit you will lose weight...obviously. In order for your body to provide itself with enough energy to get through the day it will have to burn up your fat stores. I've done this for over a year & I think it's the most sustainable & effective way of dieting. Track what meals you eat with an app like MyFitnessPal. This can seem tough to begin with but you'd be surprised how easy tracking your meals becomes.

Eating in a caloric deficit will guarantee you lose weight, it also allows you become self-regulating in your dietary approaches. If you're craving a bar of chocolate or a pizza that's absolutely fine, once you stay in an overall caloric deficit you will still lose weight. If you have a family event on the weekend and you know you're going to over consume food, that's fine too, you can lower your calories over the preceding days to put yourself back in a deficit (example: You eat an extra 1000kcal on Sunday, eat 200kcal less on Monday to Friday to pay it back).

Overall I've found weight loss to be a breeze following flexible dieting & I highly recommend you do a bit of research on it, give it a try & see what you make of it.

Best of luck

Adam

https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting
    My 2016/17 Cut: [url]https://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?46054-(Almost)-A-1-Year-Cut-amp-What-I-ve-Learned-Along-The-Way[/url]

Hey, I am also a SAHM with 4 kids. I totally understand where you are coming from. For me, I stopped trying to count calories and depriving myself. I think it goes against human nature. The more you say to yourself "I can't eat that, or I shouldn't" the more guilty you feel and the more you want to eat it. It may sound a little backwards, but I instead of focusing on what I shouldn't I started to put all my focus on more. I began just adding more. More fruits, more veggies, more water (I never seem to drink enough). I looked for things I love to eat that are great for my body and just kept adding more of those. In the long run, I cut out my cokes and processed sugars. All the good things started to take over and there was little room for the other stuff. I also like to make smoothies in the morning, because otherwise I get busy and won't eat breakfast. Having that mentality of eating more of the good foods rather than focusing on what I shouldn't eat made it much easier on me.

Also, I would highly recommend watching "Forks over knives". It was very eye-opening. I am not saying I follow it exactly, but it was a great resource and helped me start finding a whole array of better foods.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elivi View Post
    For me, I stopped trying to count calories and depriving myself. I think it goes against human nature...
    The more you say to yourself "I can't eat that, or I shouldn't" the more guilty you feel and the more you want to eat it. It may sound a little backwards, but I instead of focusing on what I shouldn't I started to put all my focus on more.
    Every diet is restrictive. Counting calories is perhaps the least restrictive method of dieting because it's self regulating & sustainable in the long term. If you're cutting & counting calories then by default you should be eating more filling foods likes vegetables & fruits but if you fancy a treat well then it's mentally healthy to be a dietary system that allows you have it without going into a binge.
    My 2016/17 Cut: [url]https://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?46054-(Almost)-A-1-Year-Cut-amp-What-I-ve-Learned-Along-The-Way[/url]