Poll: What gym do you guys use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I work out at Lifetime Fitness. Of all the gyms in my area, it has the widest variety of resistance machines and free weights, as well as the best amenities. The atmosphere is very friendly and accepting of people of all fitness levels.

Before selecting Lifetime, I visited other gyms in order to make an informed decision. The next largest here is a 24-Hour Fitness Super Sport. Other smaller options include my neighborhood community center, Fitness 19, LA Boxing, and some small local options. I narrowed the options down to the 24 Hour and Lifetime. Here are my observations of advantages of each:

24-Hour
    • Closer to my house
    • Indoor running track - 1/6 mile
    • Cardio machines all have individual monitors/TVs
    • Membership is less costly per month
    • Several locations that are convenient to either home or work

Lifetime
    • Much nicer facility
    • Dry sauna and steamroom are both located in locker room vice pool area
    • Membership card accesses locks in locker room - no need to bring lock
    • Other members that I know workout on a schedule similar to mine
    • Four pools - two indoors/two outdoors

The biggest factor was the other members that I know at Lifetime that I now workout with regularly. Even without that major reason, the location of the steamroom alone would have made the difference. I know that I am paying for a lot of crap that I will never use. Even so, it is worth it to me. I'm at a point in my life that I choose comfort and amenities over low cost.

Since I am active Air Force, I also have access to the base gym. I use it occasionally but find that I have been spoiled by Lifetime. The only advantages to the base gym is free access to personal trainers and nutritionists. I don't use either, but I recognize the value for those who do.

I'm working out at a college gym here in Norway

I'm in the UK. I'm a member at Virgin Active (it's a fairly big UK chain owned by Virgin Group, the same as the airline etc), mainly because it's local to where I live. But it is a pretty nice place to work out.

I selected Planet Fitness but I go to a gym that has cloned their business model (but without the "Lunk Alarm", as it's called). The name is One80 Fitness. It is a great facility, 20,000 sq ft, lots of equipment of all types, tanning beds, showers, etc. I love going there, and I go almost everyday.

I chose YMCA only because my gym closely resembles one. It's a Nautilus branded gym but with affiliate agreements with the local YWCA so any member is able to chose 5 gyms in the area.

It's a nice place, large warehouse type, with a 1/8 mile indoor track with circuit training and various barbell equipment; squat racks, deadlift racks, etc. with a free weight section corner off to the side.

I'd certainly prefer a hardcore gym with beat up weights, no AC with serious weightlifters. Not even joking...but there arent any in my area.

I gotta say, I'm not a rude weightlifter...nor aggressive, but I find Planet Fitness commercials utterly offensive and hostile. Some of the most brilliant men I know are hardcore weightlifters. Their commericals do nothing but reinforce stereotypes that muscular men are Neanderthals and nothing could be further from the truth. Takes years of dedicated labor and planning to build a body that most people are secretly jealous of.... this is coming from a guy who has so much further to go.

I wouldnt work out at Planet Fitness if I was paid to.... if people are in the gym to feel 'safe' and 'comfortable', they're there for the wrong reasons and I wouldnt want to workout next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by edoublep View Post
    I gotta say, I'm not a rude weightlifter...nor aggressive, but I find Planet Fitness commercials utterly offensive and hostile. Some of the most brilliant men I know are hardcore weightlifters. Their commericals do nothing but reinforce stereotypes that muscular men are Neanderthals and nothing could be further from the truth. Takes years of dedicated labor and planning to build a body that most people are secretly jealous of.... this is coming from a guy who has so much further to go.

I wouldnt work out at Planet Fitness if I was paid to.... if people are in the gym to feel 'safe' and 'comfortable', they're there for the wrong reasons and I wouldnt want to workout next to them.
    I totally agree with you epp. One of the owners of my gym used to be a regional manager for Planet Fatness. One reason he wanted to start One80 is because he liked the business model of PF (lots of equipment, tanning, no frills or fancy building, but nice and clean, low cost membership) with the exception of the discriminatory practices. He found the Lunk Alarm to be absurd, but he could not do anything about it while emplyed by a PF franchisee because of the stipulations of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by dTor View Post
    I totally agree with you epp. One of the owners of my gym used to be a regional manager for Planet Fatness. One reason he wanted to start One80 is because he liked the business model of PF (lots of equipment, tanning, no frills or fancy building, but nice and clean, low cost membership) with the exception of the discriminatory practices. He found the Lunk Alarm to be absurd, but he could not do anything about it while emplyed by a PF franchisee because of the stipulations of the franchise.
    Thats awesome! I guess I was a bit harsh...it's hard to not get frustrated at fellow gymgoers who whine about their bodies but refuse to do the actual work to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertrogo View Post
    I dislike the Planet Fitness commercials as well because I do admire and appreciate many bodybuilders and heavylifters as that is their career and what they do for a living/have an extreme passion for, its just for myself at the gym at my college at Philadelphia University, my friend and I had to deal with extremely under experienced lifters and students who would scream and grunt too loudly and drop weights right next to you as you were lifting. This caused us to get frustrated and even drop weights on our chest due to the loud slams of the dumbbells or barbells. It was frustrating because we would follow the proper gym code and lift correctly in our school gym by not slamming or grunting extremely loudly and people all around us thought they were at the top of their game and had every right to slam and scare the other lifters. (That is just from my personal experience)
    I hear ya. Just last week I had to explain to a high school student that walking within inches of someone while they're squatting with 250lbs is not only a bad idea, it's also incredibly rude. Needless to say, he got mouthy and before I could respond, I had an employee backing me up and instructing him to respect others, or find another gym..

Home gym for me as well.

I want that treadmill jshilko! I've got an old ass ProForm. Hate it, but I can't convince myself to replace it since it still "works". Just put up my full rack last week. Finally can do barbell squats, pullups, etc.. Just need to find a nice bench for it.