Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar

What's best? Creatine, Protein, mass gainer

Hey all.
    pretty much just starting out the gym, been going for a few weeks, and just wanting the best help i can get from supplements, only problem is i'm kind of a wierd mix of fat and skinny, have like skinny arms chest etc where you'd want abit of mass, but fat like around the stomach and core area, abit of legs etc

Just wondering what would be the best suggestions from people in the know?
    And would a weight/mass gainer help me gain size all over, or would it just make me fatter where i don't want it?

Currently using Nitro Isolate 65 Pro Series MuscleTech protein about half an hour after a workout and last thing at night.

And Olimp creatine Xplode first thing in the morning and about 5 10 mins after a workout

And any suggestions of cheap protein, but something that's really good
    (in UK)

Also, any suggestions for a workout that might help, currently using the basic JEFIT bulker, with a slight adjustment

Thanks.

Hi Mate I'm no nutritionist but i can give you a bit of advice!

My current goal is roughly the same as you; I have developed a bit of a gut I'd like to get rid of; I'd suggest taking protein rather than weight gainer until you get your fat off; it should allow you to put mass on your chest but won't provide the carbs you will store as fat on your stomach and legs. Once you get rid of the fat you can then get on the weight gainer to bulk up quickly!

In the way of routines check out my Power muscle burn 4 day split; its 4 days of weights with two days of running; the weights should build up your strength and the running/cardio work help to get rid of any excess fat. You could even do running in the morning and the weights at night if you wanted to (i don't do this as i don't have the time!)

In the way of supplements check out [URL="http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/12024/Matrix-Lean-Muscle-Stack.asp"]http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/12024/Matrix-Lean-Muscle-Stack.asp[/URL]

I'm using that at the moment, creatine, BCAA's and the protein and i've had pretty good results so far!

If anyone wants to give him any better advice feel free, like i said i'm no expert!

Hope this helps matey!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by beardedhobo View Post
    Hi Mate I'm no nutritionist but i can give you a bit of advice!

My current goal is roughly the same as you; I have developed a bit of a gut I'd like to get rid of; I'd suggest taking protein rather than weight gainer until you get your fat off; it should allow you to put mass on your chest but won't provide the carbs you will store as fat on your stomach and legs. Once you get rid of the fat you can then get on the weight gainer to bulk up quickly!

In the way of routines check out my Power muscle burn 4 day split; its 4 days of weights with two days of running; the weights should build up your strength and the running/cardio work help to get rid of any excess fat. You could even do running in the morning and the weights at night if you wanted to (i don't do this as i don't have the time!)

In the way of supplements check out [URL="http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/12024/Matrix-Lean-Muscle-Stack.asp"]http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/12024/Matrix-Lean-Muscle-Stack.asp[/URL]

I'm using that at the moment, creatine, BCAA's and the protein and i've had pretty good results so far!

If anyone wants to give him any better advice feel free, like i said i'm no expert!

Hope this helps matey!

Jamie

I'm not to worried about my fat, hopefully i can burn that off with my workouts and abit of cardio each time, and by improving my diet etc or after i've gained abit of decent mass

would the mass gainer help add bulk all over, or would i just end up fat?

An thanks for the help and the link, the price of that is insanely cheap!!, cost me 30 quid for 2lbs of protein!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertrogo View Post
    Well it depends on the way that you are working out and how you are eating the mass gainer because of course as you know mass gainer contains a significant amount of carbs, calories and of course protein, so it is in terms a meal substitute to help you build more mass and gain more weight in the process of working out. It wont technically turn to fat unless you aren't working out then of course it will transition into fat in the process due to the fact that all of the calories, sugars and carbs are sitting there in your belly not being workout out.

Mass gainer is a great product but it depends on the way that you go about using it because for the price you are paying for mass gainer, you can eat a significant amount of carbs and cheap proteins from the grocery store and get the same effect. My choice would be to stick with just straight Whey Protein because creatine can put on water weight which if you don't work out will show its effects on you (I have had that experience before and not soo much fun haha)
    The creatine i'm loving, lifting more weight, more reps, needing less breaks etc and as i've got abit of fat on my already the water weight isn't much of a problem

And i'm doing 3 days a week with occasional cardio (football) and aiming to get big, 3 sets, 8-10 reps, as soon as i can do 9 or 10 i add an extra 5kg etc

Try the matrix weight gain from that site I gave you above I was taking it before Xmas and gained half a stone in a month and a half, eating well too tho! Try some bcaa too they will help with recovery and promote lean muscle growth! Don't go overboard on the creatine its bad for fitness and your liver!

I'm not a fan of weight gainer. Like Robert said, you can eat real food and get the same effects. The diet is probably the hardest part. In the end if you master the diet, you'll be better off overall.

Most quality protein powders will have BCAAs (branched chain amino acids). I use EAS which is full of them. Also, go easy on the creatine if you're taking the powder plus a supplement containing creatine. It may be wise to cycle with it. Drink plenty of water. That's true with any work out though.

To answer the original question of "which is the best": the one that works the best for you. Everyone is different.

I did see that you modified the beginner's routine. If you're just starting out, don't do that. Stick with it for a few weeks before you think about making adjustments. Here's a routine derived from BodyBuilding.com (note that I added cardio & abs as suggested later in that thread): [url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/routine/?id=2416[/url] It's a good beginning routine. While you may think to yourself (as I did) "this looks too simplistic"; try it for 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
    I'm not a fan of weight gainer. Like Robert said, you can eat real food and get the same effects. The diet is probably the hardest part. In the end if you master the diet, you'll be better off overall.

Most quality protein powders will have BCAAs (branched chain amino acids). I use EAS which is full of them. Also, go easy on the creatine if you're taking the powder plus a supplement containing creatine. It may be wise to cycle with it. Drink plenty of water. That's true with any work out though.

To answer the original question of "which is the best": the one that works the best for you. Everyone is different.

I did see that you modified the beginner's routine. If you're just starting out, don't do that. Stick with it for a few weeks before you think about making adjustments. Here's a routine derived from BodyBuilding.com (note that I added cardio & abs as suggested later in that thread): [url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/routine/?id=2416[/url] It's a good beginning routine. While you may think to yourself (as I did) "this looks too simplistic"; try it for 5 weeks.
    yea i pretty much drink nothing but water none stop anyway, it's amazing the difference you can notive when you've not drank much as opposed to being properly hydrated!

an the only adjustments are really to fit it in with my gym, pretty small place so is just like swapping some barbell things with dumbells swapping an exercise that i don't have the equipment for for 1 that does the same muscles that i can do kinda thing

what i use

PREWORKOUT (creatine): (to get your body in the mood): initially i started with nano vapor, then moved to black powder (this didnt work for me), then dark rage. im also experimenting with jack3d right now and contrary to the majority of reviews, its not working for me.

POST WORKOUT (protein): i use isomass xtreme gainer - ive found its the most bang for your buck out there. however there are supplements out there that absorb much faster, (thats a very good advantage to have) such as, dark matter and GNC's supplements. However these supplements are much more expensive. if youre interested tho i'd do a google search for them and purchase them online, much cheaper.

I also have a mega men sport vitamins in my stack.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS2 View Post
    im also experimenting with jack3d right now and contrary to the majority of reviews, its not working for me.
    I use Jack3d as well. The only thing I will say is that it tends to lose its effect at a certain point. Or rather takes more for the same feeling. Guess I need to cycle with it. Friend of mine said the same. The watermelon flavor is amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertrogo View Post
    You are indeed supposed to cycle off of pre-workouts for around 2 weeks after 6 weeks of using the product which might be a reason that it isn't working, either that or you are immune to caffeine. Its always best to test and try around to find a product that meets your needs because in the world of pre-workout supplements there are those like jack3d, that are caffeine stimulant reliant supplements, or those like Animal Rage or Assault that focus on the amount of L-Arginine that you get which boost your pump and bloodflow
    I'm planning on picking up something else soon. Need to test a a few out.