More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar

Bigger gains, decrease bodyfat

Just recently hit my 6 week mark (roughly) since starting the gym just hoping for abit of advice and some tips

Made gains of roughly
    10% on arms
    2.5% chest
    5% forearms
    5% shoulders

Not sure if that's good or not, but i was really small to begin with (and still am)
    Just wondering if that kinda percentage is good and probably with a diet lacking quite alot!

Also, noticed my Bodyfat, and waist/hip size has increased, as has my stomach!
    i'm not sure if this is just water weight from creatine etc
    Has anyone got any tips to help decrease my bodyfat etc whilst still bulking up??

Experienced Member
    Congrats on making it 6 weeks. I hope you continue to strive for your goals.

With that being said, your percentage increase on your arms, chest, forearms and shoulders really tell us nothing. You could have anywhere from a 5-15% percent increase/decrease based on solely on the current glycogen stores in your body. Not to mention if you measure yourself directly after hypertrophy or at a rested state. I would shy away from measuring your individual body parts. It could take up to 6 months to add a half inch of muscle to any body part. I find that the only real true measure of progress is the mirror.

I would also suggest taking yourself off createne. All types of createne, regardless of their claims, add a significant amount of water weight to your muscles. If you research some reliable sources you will come to find that createne only improves performance on explosive movements typically associated with power lifting.

Here comes the worst news. It is impossible to simultaneously loose body fat and gain muscle. If you’re of small stature, depending on what you want as an end state goal, I would suggest bulking up first. Depending on your body somatotype it may be more difficult for you to gain muscle than it would be to lose fat.

If you post your training regimen and diet we would be more than willing to give you suggestions.

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jghight View Post
    Congrats on making it 6 weeks. I hope you continue to strive for your goals.

With that being said, your percentage increase on your arms, chest, forearms and shoulders really tell us nothing. You could have anywhere from a 5-15% percent increase/decrease based on solely on the current glycogen stores in your body. Not to mention if you measure yourself directly after hypertrophy or at a rested state. I would shy away from measuring your individual body parts. It could take up to 6 months to add a half inch of muscle to any body part. I find that the only real true measure of progress is the mirror.

I would also suggest taking yourself off createne. All types of createne, regardless of their claims, add a significant amount of water weight to your muscles. If you research some reliable sources you will come to find that createne only improves performance on explosive movements typically associated with power lifting.

Here comes the worst news. It is impossible to simultaneously loose body fat and gain muscle. If you’re of small stature, depending on what you want as an end state goal, I would suggest bulking up first. Depending on your body somatotype it may be more difficult for you to gain muscle than it would be to lose fat.

If you post your training regimen and diet we would be more than willing to give you suggestions.
    Thanks for the reply,
    been doing abit of research and have decided to purely focus on bulking got myself some mass gainer to help an going to start keeping a record of what i eat an how much calories etc my BMR is about 2700, so aiming for 3000, i'll post my diet on here once i get it sorted mainly focusing on cutting out the junk and getting more pasta, chicken fish red meat etc and get my 5 meals regularly

Already started laying off the creatine, mainly because of the taste and the current creatine i have is abit toss, with others i have noticed more strength focus etc

And my regime....

Tuesday - Back, Biceps, Forearms

2 min warm up on rower
    Wide grip lat pulldown
    Dumbell Curl
    Crunches
    Incline dumbell curl
    Plate twist
    alternate hammer curl
    close grip front lat pull down
    decline crunches
    wrist curl over a bench

Thursday - Chest and Triceps
    Bench press
    Abs
    Decline bench
    abs
    Tricep Dip
    Machine Fly
    lying tricep extensions
    tricep pushdown

Sun - Legs shoulders and abs/cardio
    Leg press
    abs
    Shoulder press
    Bike
    Decline crunches
    Lat raise
    plate twist
    Shrugs
    Pull down behind the neck
    side bend
    few minutes on treadmill

And a few hours of football(soccer) anywhere between once and 4 times a week
    Last edited by mrwright; 06-18-2011 at 10:09 AM.