Thread: Getting started

Getting started

Since we're talking motivation here I can compare my approach with that of a friend of mine. He lasted about 4 months, I'm still in it, now for 18 months.
    First difference between us was the why. He wanted to gain strength and especially build muscles as fast as ever possible. I just wanted to workout three times a week every week. No direct further goals. He found out that it's easier said than done. Without watching your diet, add supplemental proteins etc. Those muscles just won't grow, not to talk about growing fast, and that killed his motivation quite fast. I, just wanting to go, found out while I don't get larger I do feel a lot better. I sleep better, I'm more alert all the time, have more energy, short: I feel younger.
    He started in June. From day 1 it was hard for him to motivate himself when it was so nice to sit outside, have a drink with friends and family. I started in October, when it gets wet and cold outside. When spring came I was already so deeply in my routine that motivation is no problem anymore.
    After about a year I noticed my motivation left me a bit. Luckily I found jefit and set myself the goal to get this message about having set a new 1RM record every time I go. It became a bit addictive even.
    So after 18 months I'm still going. I didn't get a lot more muscular but that wasn't my goal anyway. But I did loose some weight and I will go on.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpz.rp View Post
    Since we're talking motivation here I can compare my approach with that of a friend of mine. He lasted about 4 months, I'm still in it, now for 18 months.
    First difference between us was the why. He wanted to gain strength and especially build muscles as fast as ever possible. I just wanted to workout three times a week every week. No direct further goals. He found out that it's easier said than done. Without watching your diet, add supplemental proteins etc. Those muscles just won't grow, not to talk about growing fast, and that killed his motivation quite fast. I, just wanting to go, found out while I don't get larger I do feel a lot better. I sleep better, I'm more alert all the time, have more energy, short: I feel younger.
    He started in June. From day 1 it was hard for him to motivate himself when it was so nice to sit outside, have a drink with friends and family. I started in October, when it gets wet and cold outside. When spring came I was already so deeply in my routine that motivation is no problem anymore.
    After about a year I noticed my motivation left me a bit. Luckily I found jefit and set myself the goal to get this message about having set a new 1RM record every time I go. It became a bit addictive even.
    So after 18 months I'm still going. I didn't get a lot more muscular but that wasn't my goal anyway. But I did loose some weight and I will go on.
    It's really true that it's hard to motivate yourself when you do not have the will to do it. Willingness should be coming from you. Motivation is what pushes you to succeed whatever you want to set either in fitness or in your life but we're glad to know that you're back on your feet and start being active again. We're always here for you. You may feel free to reach our Pros like John Rippon and all others if you need bit of advices on how you can achieve your target goals easy peasy..

And if you need help with any JEFIT related issues, feel free to reach out to us anytime support@jefit.com.

It's important to know your "why", and if that is realistic to keep you motivated. Your friend was in it for the wrong reason, and when reality hit, he bailed. It's a long journey, but it's well worth it.

Yes, he set his goals too high. It's funna, I noticed that after New Year the gym is quite crowded, you know, all these good intentions ��. Starting mid-March, most of these people don' show up anymore.