Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jghight View Post
    VO2 max varies greatly from person to person as well. Your theory on endurance athletes is WAY more misleading then my simple statement. Keep his goals in mind. 65% percent of my VO2 max isn’t much more than a 4 mph at a 10% incline, which is very similar to any type of hiking I’m aware of.
    Well if your goals are to become a muscle mountain who can't do much more than walk up a slight hill without getting out of breath and worrying about wasting away, fair enough - forget about any kind of cardio exercise.

I'd imagine most people would quite like to be both well built and also have sufficient cardio-respiratory fitness to allow them take part in the occasional jog/swim/bike ride/ball game/run for the bus. In which case you should probably eat and train in such a manner that allows you to do these things occasionally while also gaining muscle/losing fat as appropriate.
    Last edited by tjwood; 08-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwood View Post
    Well if your goals are to become a muscle mountain who can't do much more than walk up a slight hill without getting out of breath and worrying about wasting away, fair enough - forget about any kind of cardio exercise.

I'd imagine most people would quite like to be both well built and also have sufficient cardio-respiratory fitness to allow them take part in the occasional jog/swim/bike ride/ball game/run for the bus. In which case you should probably eat and train in such a manner that allows you to do these things occasionally while also gaining muscle/losing fat as appropriate.
    I want exactly that.... A happy medium, muscle size and enough stamina to hike 8 miles without feeling as though i'm going to pass out.

Experienced Member
    Haha. I like you tjwood.

Muscle mountain, I might have to steal that one from you. I simply stated the most effective way to ensure you lose the most amount of fat with minimal lean muscle loss. I'm no-where near a muscle mountain. I ensure you if you were to walk the treadmill as I stated before on a limited calorie diet day in and day out you would feel like you just climbed K2 every day. I will also have you know I am an avid bike rider and swimmer in the off season. Please don’t make assumptions.

drevil8814- No problem glad to help.

I wasn't making any assumptions... and was exaggerating a bit for comic effect.

Seriously though, it seems people read something in a magazine article that in turn was taken from some tiny snippet in a scientific paper and report it wildly out of context and somehow it becomes a massive thing to worry about.

I was just trying to make the point that most people don't need to worry too much about exactly what cardio they do or what their VO2 max is or whatever. Just lift weights some days, and do cardio some days, and eat healthily (and eat more to gain mostly muscle, and less to lose mostly fat), and most importantly enjoy it.

Protein synthesis (recycling protein in muscle mass) happens 24/7. The goal is to always have enough protein in your system to replace what is removed. The tricky part on a cut comes when you lower carbs. If you lower them too much the protein in your system can be converted to sugars and used as carbs instead of going to your muscles. Everybody is different, so it will take some experimenting on your part to get it right for you.

Hiking should be pretty low impact cardio, which entails using mainly using type 1 (areobic) muscle fibers which only run on fatty acids which is perfect for most people when cutting. That's not to say no glycogen will be used, because it will however. The danger in doing too much is the muscle can adapt it's type 2a fibers to become more like type 1 fibers to adjust to all the low level cardio so it's important to lift just as hard as you were while bulking when cutting to keep those type 2a fibers big and anareobic as possible. Aerobic fibers use fat but are small and have high endurance. Type 2b are large, anareobic, tire quickly and use ATP. Type 2a the body can modify to be more like the aerobic or anareobic depending on the type of stress you put on the body.

Maybe this is a bit old topic but for your future hiking concerns, my best suggestion is read tips at [URL="http://www.outdoorgearup.com/"]www.outdooregearup.com[/URL]. My take on this is start with a healthy, filling breakfast – or lunch, if you are hiking in the afternoon. Enjoy fruit or vegetables, whole grains and quality protein, such as peanut butter, lean meat, fresh nuts or eggs. Drink water with your meal (you can easily dehydrate while hiking, especially when hiking at higher altitudes).