Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just starting out after 9 years off - Backpacking Routine?

Hi all,

My first post here. Let me start off by saying that the last time I was in a gym was about 9 years ago, just before being discharged. I had spent roughly 8 years consistently in the gym prior to that between HS Football and the Marine Corps, so I'm comfortable around the free weights and machines in a gym and my technique is still solid, but with my time away, my body has changed, so I'm soliciting some advice from you all.

I am 30 years old, and 190lbs. My diet consists of pretty much any and everything. I recently changed jobs, and my new employer provides a gym membership, so I finally have no excuse not to get back into shape. When I left the Marines, I was 22, and 165 pounds of lean muscle. I was doing tons of cardio in those days. A wife, kid, and a desk job later, that's not the case anymore.

So, I'm looking for advice on getting back into a particular shape. I am an avid backpacker, so my main goal is to make my life easier on the trail when climbing a mountain with about 40 pounds on my back for 5+ miles at a stretch. A second goal is fairly ambigous: get in shape.

I'm not so concerned about weight or bulk. I'm fine staying at 190 pounds if I can transform that weight into more muscle than fat.

So, sorry to be long winded, but here are my questions:
    1. Can anyone recommend a good resource/ android app for diet information? I belive that is the core of my problem. Eating too much of the wrong thing.
    2. i want to build leg and back endurance more than raw burst strength. Other than the treadclimber (which i can quickly see becoming bored with), does anyone have any insight on other exercises to mix in?
    3. i am looking for an overall balanced workout, not just cutting or bulking. Off hand, can anyone suggest a decent routine to start out with, and adjust as i get back into the swing of things?

Some exercises are obvious for backpacking, like squats, treadclimbers, etc. So I guess my overall goal is to stay the same height and weight, but drop my body fat and be overall stronger with more muscle endurance than I am today. I don't get winded on the trail, but my legs are screaming for mercy at the end of the day. I just went to the gym for the first time this week, but without any guidance or direction just yet, I feel like I'm just giving myself sore muscles for no specific reason.

Thanks in advance everyone
    Last edited by USMCStang; 08-29-2011 at 04:17 AM.