Just been reading up abit about this, wondering if anyone heres ever heard of, or indeed tried it?

a little bit about it.......

Over 30 years ago, players of the iron game were introduced to this training method under the term isometronics, which was a contraction of the term isometrics and isotonics. German strength experts (look up references such as Letzelter and Letzelter, and Hartmann and Tünnemann) prefer to use the term auxotonics to describe it. US sport scientists Steve Fleck, William Kraemer and Pat O’Shea like to call it “functional isometric contractions.” The philosophy behind this method is to use the best of what the isometric method can offer and combine it with isotonics.

Here is I like to perform “isometronics” It consists of doing:
1. Perform four to six partial reps in the normal fashion on a 20XO tempo. Those partial reps are done from the bottom pin to the top pin.

2. When you come to the end of the last concentric repetition, make contact with the bar against the top pins. Apply as much force as hard as possible for 6-8 seconds, trying to blast through the pins! Do not hold your breath during the isometric contraction; instead, use a very brief cycle of breathing, alternating rapidly between short inhaling and short exhaling.

3. If you've performed this set properly, you should not be able to perform another concentric repetition after lower the barbell-if you still can, the weight you used was simply too light.

Another method of static contraction training I’ve found responsible for breaking through training plateaus involves interspersing 8 seconds of heavy isometric holds (i.e., heavy supports) between regular sets. Using percentages for initial guidance in weight selection, my approach to making use of the “heavy supports” in your bench press routine might look like this:

Set 1: Bench press 5 RM @ 85 percent of 1RM (repetition maximum)

Set 2: Heavy supports of 8 seconds @ 120 percent of max; basically it is 1/16th of the range. You just unrack the weight and hold with your elbows just short of lockout. The weight should be heavy enough so that your upper extremities shake as though they are suffering from a severe Parkinson’s attack.

Set 3: Bench press 5 RM @ 85 percent of 1RM

Set 4: Heavy supports 8 seconds @ 125 percent of 1RM

Set 5: Bench press 5 RM @ 85 percent of 1RM

Set 6: Heavy supports 8 seconds @ 130 percent of 1RM

Make certain that you train in a power rack for this routine, and set the safety support bars 23 inches below your lockout position to prevent any free instant plastic surgery! The weights you can use for heavy supports often increases dramatically, so don’t be shy about using even greater percentages for the heavy supports than the ones suggested. If you use heavy supports, I would not be surprised if your best bench press performance goes up 20-25 pounds in only four workouts.

the few studies/tests etc i've read show it results in some pretty big and quick gains!