Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cable Triceps Pushdown

Just posting wondering whether it makes a difference whether you use an ordinary bar? V bar? or rope? when doing triceps pushdown
    :

Yes, it changes the direction and emphasis of the exercise. For example, rope tackles the side of the Triceps more, straight bar tackles the back more.

Kind Regards
    Dave

ok bro, so would you recommend incorporating sets of both into my triceps workouts?

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    the rope is ALOT harder than a straight bar,
    I think the rope gives more definition to the muscle, But i wouldn't use both in your workout as there both the same just a slight variation
    E N G L A N D!

No, alter the emphasis of the exercise by changing the bar every so often.

Currently Jefit lists the different bars as different exercises, but that's really not how I use them. I would prefer it if, when you select Triceps pushdown (or other cable exercises for that matter) that it let you define which bar you were using and tracked it accordingly. Thus, at each workout, it would tell you what weight you last used for that exercise and what weight you last used for that kind of bar.

Kind Regards
    Dave

PS. Having said all that, usually I stick to the rope because I want to develop the Whichever-head-of-the-triceps-it-is-I-can-never-remember that is on the side of the arm.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Yeah i've noticed that rope is moderately harder than a bar, i'll probably stick to rope though if it defines the head of the triceps more

cheers for the advice guys

Actually the Triceps have three heads (hence the name). The long head is at the back and is affected more by a straight bar. The head on the side is the one that is affected more by the rope, but only if you twist the ends of the rope upwards at the end of the motion.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Triceps

Good triceps workouts = vertical dips, bench press, military press, close grip bench...etc... isolation work is useless...

The rope will get you a little more ROM. You can get a nice twist at the end of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal2011 View Post
    Good triceps workouts = vertical dips, bench press, military press, close grip bench...etc... isolation work is useless...
    That would really depend on your goals. It's not useless if it's only a part of a larger routine.

BTW, military press and regular bench press are not tricep specific exercises. Their target muscles are deltoids and pecs respectively. Other muscles may be involved in a supporting role. The close grip bench press will work the triceps though.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    A lot of lifters over the years start to eliminate isolation work on biceps and triceps as they are incorporated in compound exercises. Even after 14 years of lifting I still do isolation workout on these muscles as without them the definition and strength is just not there; in my opinion.

Triceps are by far my favorite muscle to work on. I enjoy Kick-Backs, Close-Grip Bench Press, Weight Dips and Lying Over-Head Curls with a EZ-Curl Bar. And since the Tricep is a much larger muscle than the Bicep, a larger Tricep will give to a larger looking arm. And who doesn't want larger arms? A since the Tricep is the foundation of the arm, the large the Tricep the larger your Biceps can be.