Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you want to grow why wouldn't you water your muscles

How important is it to you to keep yourself hydrated during your workout?

For me I take an holistic approach to this subject. I look as the heart as a root of a plant and in order to branch out and grow we need lots of hydration. Especially during and after your workouts. This is the transport medium of nutrients and wastes. Flushing the muscle toilet bowl activates with lots of water.

As we workout the micro-tears, wastes and dehydration are a major concern. I am not sure if working out actually squeezes water out of your muscles, but I suspect so.

Keeping well hydrated for me during my workouts help with no cramping of muscles and keeping your muscles plump like fruit on a plant.

I am almost sure this helps with laying the ground work with vascular growth within your muscles as being well hydrated possibly helps with tunneling new growth.

How much water do you consume during your workout?
    Lately I have been consuming 1.5 US GALS on average.

Is water consumption the Key to defeating the DOMS?

More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    I don't keep track; but I drink water throughout my workout as needed; I listen to my body and ensure I'm fully hydrated. I drink a lot of water during the day as well.

consuming too much water during a workout can be dangerous as it can cause salts to be washed out of the body leading to collapse. Best to keep hydrated with a balanced exercise drink.

Kind Regards
    Dave

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OptikaNET View Post
    consuming too much water during a workout can be dangerous as it can cause salts to be washed out of the body leading to collapse. Best to keep hydrated with a balanced exercise drink.

Kind Regards
    Dave
    That'll be a whole lot of water!

and most exercise drinks are utter shite, just tryin get a few quid out of ya

Was a study out recently that showed normal everyday chocolate milk is better than all the fancy energy drinks

the bodys what 70% water, so keeping that water topped up and refreshed so to speak is NEEDED
    E N G L A N D!

I drink quite a bit of fluids throughout the day. I don't limit myself to water, but I do drink a good bit of it. I like my coffee.

During the workout I'll sip some water or whatever is left of my preworkout mix if I had any.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle's Avatar
    Water is one the most important things your body needs. Your body is mostly water so it just makes sense. ! water transports the nutients. Its good weather you are trying to gain weight or loose it. Sports drinks are great but old fashion water is just as good and coffee well thats another subject...lol. Like posted you would need to drink a lot of water to wash all of your salts and stuff out. anyway here is a great article about water...

[url]http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/behar12.htm[/url]

here is some snips....

Many people underestimate the importance of water to the body. Many people think it is just a "mom's tale", like you need to drink your milk. What is even more alarming is that even among the most experienced athletes, and this includes weightlifters (strength and bodybuilders) there is a huge gap in knowledge regarding the understanding as to why proper hydration is important for health, and for competitive success as wel

Water
    The Single Most Critical Nutrient

The human brain is composed of 95% water; blood is 82% water; the lungs are nearly 90% water. As one can imagine water is also the single most critical nutrient for health, growth, and development. It is not only the most important nutrient in the body, but also the most abundant. Water is critical to the balance of all the body's systems, including the brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and muscles.

How important is this balance? A 2% drop in body water can cause a small but critical shrinkage of the brain, which can impair neuromuscular coordination, decrease concentration, and slow thinking. Dehydration can also reduce endurance, decrease strength, cause cramping and slow muscular response.

Mild dehydration is also one of the most common causes of daytime fatigue. How common a problem is this in the US? Estimates are that seventy-five percent of Americans have mild, chronic dehydration. This is alarming since proper hydration is required for maintaining healthy blood flow, proper kidney function, proper sodium/potassium /electrolyte balance and proper digestive functions

Health Benefits

Water has many health benefits. Health benefits include:

Healthier Skin.
    Ensuring that you are properly hydrated will prove to be a far better solution to preventing or decreasing wrinkles than the many expensive and in most cases barely effective products being marketing to the public.
    Healthier Teeth & Bones.
    Water also makes teeth and bone stronger. The additional fluoride added to our water supplies provides extra strengths and bone density to our teeth and bones.
    Healthier Joints.
    Water is extremely important to the joints. Because the synovial fluid contains water, if you become dehydrated less synovial fluid is available to protect the joints.

Reduces Fatigue.
    Although water does not provide energy in the same way carbohydrates and fat do, it plays a very important role in energy transformation.
    Since water is the medium in which all energy reactions take place. If you become dehydrated you will become lethargic, can experience cramping and endurance and strength performance will suffer. In fact, athletes that do become dehydrated often find reduced performance in the days following.

Helps In Weight Loss.
    Water can suppress the appetite naturally and increases the body's ability to metabolize stored fat.
    Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

This is thought to occur because a reduction in water decreases the efficiency of the kidney's, which results in some of the kidney's functions being shunted to the liver.

Since one of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body, it metabolizes less fat while performing functions normally performed by the kidney's. This results in less stored fat burned, and a reduction in weight loss.

Increases Energy.
    Although water does not provide energy in the same way carbohydrates and fat do, it plays a very important role in energy transformation.
    Since water is the medium in which all energy reactions take place. If you become dehydrated you will become lethargic, can experience cramping and endurance and strength performance will suffer. In fact, athletes that do become dehydrated often find reduced performance in the days following

Helps Build Muscle.
    Water is needed to transport nutrients to your cells and transporting waste out of the body. Water helps form the structures of protein and glycogen.
    In order to move and flex your muscles, you need water. If your body is dehydrated, your muscles will be deprived of electrolytes and cramp. Since muscles are controlled by nerves, without the proper water and electrolyte balance muscle strength and control will also be impaired.

It is essential that you stay hydrated if you want to build muscle and experience optimal performance in the gym.

Increases Muscle Tone.
    Muscles are made primarily of water. Dehydration can prevent muscles from properly contracting, reducing muscle tone.
    Increasing water intake will help prevent muscle cramping, improve the strength of muscle contractions and quicken muscle response. Preventing dehydration will also help prevent sagging skin, since water will fill out the muscles, resulting in clear, healthy and resilient skin.

Water & Athletic Performance

Many people are unaware of how water affects performance. Even being slightly dehydrated can cause poor performance, and is often overlooked. Improper hydration can result in muscle cramping, decreased strength and reduced endurance. All severely impeding athletic performance.

If you want to grow why wouldn't you water your muscles
    ...because I don't want them to go mouldy....

Kind Regards
    Dave

Water is good but a gallon and a half is an awful lot! (Do you spend all of the rest of the day in the bathroom?). You can have too much of any good thing. (You might want to read up on "water intoxication" too).

I probably drink between 1 to 1.5 litres during my workout... and have to pee about 3 times in the morning afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by tjwood View Post
    I probably drink between 1 to 1.5 litres during my workout... and have to pee about 3 times in the morning afterwards...
    That's partly why I don't drink a lot during. That and it can give you that weird sloshy stomach feeling.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    Yea, that is one of the downsides of drinking water!, at times i've had to go before i leave for the gym, once i get to the gym (about 10 mins later), after i finish at the gym, after i get home, and a few minutes later

feels like more of a workout that my actual workout! haha
    E N G L A N D!