Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    Sports drinks are OVER-RATED. The majority of people don't need sports drinks or will get any real benefit. High end athletes are better suited to sports drinks; us average people are not; you might as well be drinking a soft drink. Water is the best and easiest method. And yes, chocolate milk is suppose to be good for you; the cyclists use it but again they are using way more energy than us.

In the beginning drinking the water may send you to the bathroom quite a bit but your body WILL get used to it. Best to keep things simple.

The problem with milk is twofold.... one, the body regards it as more of a food and may take blood from the muscles to the digestive system to absorb its nutrients, leading to cramps.

Two, many adults are lactose-intolerant to some degree, and therefore drinking milk during a workout could cause digestive problems which would disrupt that workout.

If you're going to drink milk, it's best left to post-workout.

Kind Regards
    Dave

By the way, when I recommended a sports drink, I didn't automatically mean a commercial one. Mixing your own with glucose, fructose, hydrolysed corn starch, essential salts and flavouring to taste is a perfectly viable alternative.

Kind Regards
    Dave

More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    OptikaNet, agree that any type of milk product is best left till after a workout. During a workout water is more than efficient to keep hydrated.

The DOMS defeater

This is what worries me the most. I have found that plenty of hydration during the actual workout helps with the transportation of waste and nutrients needed for cell function and repair. Lately I have been pretty good pumps with my workouts and the "Over Training" syndrome seems to be mild if any. Hopefully this theory works for you.

Please let me know how this is working out for you?

Thanks.