Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Experienced Member jeromechicago's Avatar

JeromeChicago's Training Log

Howdy!
    Not sure why I've decided to do the public log thing, but some support and advice along the way would be nice.

I've been in and out of the gym for years, but generally unfocused and without a specific plan. I did work with a trainer for a year, which got me in better shape, but now I'm on my own.

After much research, I've decided to give the Rippetow/Starting Strength Program a try. I am substituting Pendlay Rows for the Power Cleans. I'll probably add chin-ups and dips later, but I'm keeping it simple for now.

I am 5'7", 166lbs, about 22-23% BF.
    Maintenance calories for me would be about 1900 Cal. Macros are about 40P/40C/30F. Currently I'm running about a 250 calorie deficit to try to cut down the weight and BF. However, as the weights get higher on the SS program, I'll probably up the calories to 1900 and try to maintain weight while building muscle mass. I know that might not be possible, and I'll increase the calories more if I start stalling on the weight progression or losing energy.

This week will just be a test week to get a feel for the program and establish my starting weights, especially since I can only get two non-consecutive workouts in this week.

SO- FIRST DAY TODAY!
    I have not regularly used barbells before, so everything felt new, awkward and a bit embarrassing, especially the squats. I'm a real weakling, but that doesn't bother me- you gotta start somewhere.

Squats: worked up to 85 lbs (including bar) x 5 reps x 3 sets. My form sucked, and I definitely need to go lighter next time and work on form until I get it right. My shoulder/rotator cuff on the right hurt while holding bar, too, so perhaps I'm not holding the bar correctly.

Bench Press: worked up to 95 lbs (including bar) x 5 reps x 3 sets. This felt good and I think this is a good starting weight.

Deadlift: worked up to 85 lbs (including bar) x 5 reps x 1 set. I think I got the hang of this one regarding form by the end. I felt I could go heavier but I'm going to be careful and start at lighter weights and work up slowly.

Man, my legs are shaky and I did not push myself with heavy weights!

Thanks for reading if you're out there! Advice and encouragement accepted!

Jerome

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. Training logs are great for motivation and advice. Its always good to have people pushing you towards your goals !

You chose a great program to start with. Its a proven program and does work. Im currently doing a similar program called stronglifts.

We are the same hight and about the same weight so ill be interseting to see how you progress. hopefully we can help and motivate eachother.

As far as being weak and embarrassed. dont worry about that. if you follow the program and STAY DEDICATED you will be good to go in a few months. The first time i started the program i started with just the bar by itself. I saw girls squatting more than that. So i felt stupid. But i stuck to the plan and progressed slowly. I needed to because like you all those lifts was new to me. Now i love them. You will learn to love them also !

So my starting advice to you will would be. Dont let PRIDE get in your way. Start light. With Stronglifts you start with a empty bar (45lbs) then you ad 5 pounds as each time you go work out. So you can imagine how i felt in the squat rack with a bar and 2.5lbs weights on each side. But i put my ego aside, put my head phones on and stuck to the plan. Starting light allows you to focus on learning the lift. proper form is everything. Rip has a lot of stuff on youtube on the lifts. I have a lot of diffrent stuff saved on those lifts to. Ill find you the likes. But in the mean time. remember form is everything. The strength and every thing else will follow...

good luck !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amcredle View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Training logs are great for motivation and advice. Its always good to have people pushing you towards your goals !

You chose a great program to start with. Its a proven program and does work. Im currently doing a similar program called stronglifts.

We are the same hight and about the same weight so ill be interseting to see how you progress. hopefully we can help and motivate eachother.

As far as being weak and embarrassed. dont worry about that. if you follow the program and STAY DEDICATED you will be good to go in a few months. The first time i started the program i started with just the bar by itself. I saw girls squatting more than that. So i felt stupid. But i stuck to the plan and progressed slowly. I needed to because like you all those lifts was new to me. Now i love them. You will learn to love them also !

So my starting advice to you will would be. Dont let PRIDE get in your way. Start light. With Stronglifts you start with a empty bar (45lbs) then you ad 5 pounds as each time you go work out. So you can imagine how i felt in the squat rack with a bar and 2.5lbs weights on each side. But i put my ego aside, put my head phones on and stuck to the plan. Starting light allows you to focus on learning the lift. proper form is everything. Rip has a lot of stuff on youtube on the lifts. I have a lot of diffrent stuff saved on those lifts to. Ill find you the likes. But in the mean time. remember form is everything. The strength and every thing else will follow...

good luck !!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been interested in your log as well, precisely because we are similar height and doing similar programs. I definitely let pride get in the way- hard not to with all the buff guys working out next to me. But I'm not going to make that mistake again. If it's just the bar on the squats for now, so be it!

Thanks again!
    Jerome

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright's Avatar
    Looks like your doing everything right, with terms of your diet etc, which is one of the main things needed!

And just remember, train your muscles, not your ego!
    E N G L A N D!

Quote Originally Posted by mrwright View Post
    Looks like your doing everything right, with terms of your diet etc, which is one of the main things needed!

And just remember, train your muscles, not your ego!
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, ego got in the way a bit last time. I'll keep your advice in mind when I hit the gym tomorrow!

Starting Strength is a great program.

Form rather than weight! Eat a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by graffeoc View Post
    Starting Strength is a great program.

Form rather than weight! Eat a lot!
    Thanks for encouragement! Going to try to focus more on form next time.

Glad to see you started a log.

In the words of Rip, "If you modify my program you aren't doing my program". Don't change it and don't add anything. It works as is!

Don't be embarrassed! Everyone started at some point. I started with the bar on EVERYTHING until it felt comfortable. Form is the important part.

Little concerned on the diet. Are you saying you're eating 1650 calories (1900-250)? If so, you need to eat more. BMR is just if you're lying in bed not doing anything. Don't be afraid to eat. Just don't hit McD's everyday (unless its one of their really good salads). Good, whole food won't hurt ya!
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
    Glad to see you started a log.

In the words of Rip, "If you modify my program you aren't doing my program". Don't change it and don't add anything. It works as is!

Don't be embarrassed! Everyone started at some point. I started with the bar on EVERYTHING until it felt comfortable. Form is the important part.

Little concerned on the diet. Are you saying you're eating 1650 calories (1900-250)? If so, you need to eat more. BMR is just if you're lying in bed not doing anything. Don't be afraid to eat. Just don't hit McD's everyday (unless its one of their really good salads). Good, whole food won't hurt ya!
    Thanks for your reply and encouragement. Regarding your question, maintenance for me is 1931 Cal, and I am shooting for 1700 Cal per day at the moment (though there are definitely days I overshoot that, especially on the weekends), but in a week or two once I start adding more weight I'll increase my goal to 1900 Cal and see if I can maintain that for a while. I'm not opposed to going higher on the calories if I need to, I just want to avoid adding too much more fat weight vs. muscle weight.

Jerome

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle's Avatar
    I know you want to cut weight and add muscle and that will come. I think right now your calorie intake is ok. however once you get to about week 5. U might have to increase your intake. The wieghts are going to get heavey and you are going to need the extra calories to complete the lifts and for your muscles to rebuild.

Also wile on this program i wouldnt focus on your calories to much. Im assuming that your weight is a little out of whack because you havent exercised much. As your Strength increases so will your muscle mass. wich will decrease your body fat percent however dont expect the scales to go down much. In fact dont be surprised if you gain a a few pounds...but it will be MUSCLE.

So in a few weeks you find your self worn out in the gym. Not really recovering...etc.. you might want to check how much you are eating and what you are eating
    MY Journey From Weak to STRONG
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9387-Alex-s-Work-out-Log]My JEFIT LOG[/url] || [url=http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/] Stronglifts 5x5 INFO[/url]|| [url=http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/amcredle/]MY BODYSPACE[/url] ||[url=http://www.contractplayer.com/nba2kx/index.php/]NBA2k LEAGUE[/url]
    Info On How To
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9834-The-bench-press]Bench[/url]||[url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9889-Squat-help]Squat[/url]