Protein is one of the three macronutrients that your body needs to function properlyContinue reading
It can be frustrating when you put in hours each week at the gym or with your home workout, yet you see minimal or no gain. Here are some of the more common mistakes that could be preventing you from building muscle and what you can try instead.
Don’t Skip Leg Day
Let’s start with the most common mistake. Focusing wholly on your upper body may cause you to end up out of proportion, but more likely than not, this won’t be the case – you won’t be able to build the upper body muscle to begin with. Having strong legs allows you to support a bulkier upper body, making it easier to build muscle. Many compound leg exercises, such as squats and deadlifts, are also better at increasing testosterone, which helps when developing muscles elsewhere.
A study by the University of Texas found that “performing squats synthesizes more testosterone and growth hormone than a similar session on the leg press.” Although the test subjects lifted more weight on the leg press, their exhaustion was 42 percent higher after doing squats.
Avoid Sugar Spiking
Consuming too many sugary energy drinks, chocolate milkshakes or even some protein bars, could be taking away your ability to gain muscle. While they may give you the energy and protein necessary to build muscle mass, the excess sugar, in turn, could be inhibiting your ability to take in muscle-building amino acids. Look out for low-sugar drinks and snacks that will still give you the protein and energy. Keep in mind, men should consume no more than 38 grams a day and women 25 grams a day of added sugar.
Consuming the Wrong Kind of Calories
When trying to build muscle, you do need to consume additional calories. However, it’s important to eat the right kind of calories. Fast food, ice cream and pizza will more likely cause you to pile on fat. Increase your calories in more healthy ways by eating more fish, chicken, rice, potatoes and vegetables.
Some people can go overboard on supplements like creatine and fish oil, using these instead of taking up a healthy diet or taking too many causing nutritional problems. There are then those who take the wrong kind of supplements (i.e. performance enhancing drugs like steroids). Steroids are notoriously common amongst some gym-goers but as most know, they can run all kinds of other health risks. You’ll bulk up faster, sure, but you also damage your body in the process, causing severe long-term health problems.
Avoid Too Much Cardio
Cardiovascular exercise, is very beneficial, but, should be reserved to a minimum when trying to bulk up. This is because it steals the calories needed for repairing muscle tissue, converting the calories instead into fuel for aerobic exercise. Try limiting your cardio to twenty minutes, three times a week and see if this has any impact. A few short, HIIT sessions could also work well.
Ignore Weight Training Technique
There are specific techniques to follow for each strength training exercise. For example, proper deadlift form, requires keeping your legs about hip-width apart, not arching (flexing) your back, tucking your chin etc. These will all help build muscle more effectively in addition to protecting your spine and hips in the process. Make sure that you’re using the right technique with each exercise, otherwise you could be preventing yourself from building muscle.
Shaner, A.A., Vingren, J.L., Hatfield, D.L. et al. The acute hormonal response to free weight and machine weight resistance exercise. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 2014, 28, 4, 1032–1040.
We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve updated our app for the Android, both JEFIT Free and Pro.
This update contains a significant amount of feature additions, bug fixes, UI tweaks, performance enhancements and much much more.
Changes in Newest Release
1.) Workout Time Tracker Button
– In this new update we have added the new workout time tracker that will calculate the amount of time that it took to perform your current workout routine along with your session use of JEFIT.
You are able to initiate the workout time tracking functionality either through clicking on the button at the top of the exercise list page or clicking on an exercise.
At the end of your workout the application will provide for you a workout summary page that will list detail information about the workout you have just completed.
2.) Workout Summary Page
– You are now able to view your workout summary at the end of your routine, just before synchronization.
On this workout summary page you will be able to view :
- Session Length
- Actual Workout Time
- Total Rest Time
- Total Time Wasted
- Exercises Performed
- New Records
- Total Weight Lifted
3.) Added View Online Progress Button to Sync Page and Stats Page
– We have added a blue “View Online Progress” button on both the synchronization page as well as the Stats Page so that you can view your workout and body progress online as well as check your news feed to see the progress of your friends on the fly.
4.) Social Media Page / Website Connectivity
– Social Media has become a major staple within fitness and working out, for both keeping track of your progress and to receive feedback/motivation from your friends.
We have added the new social button on the main page that will connect you to the JEFIT Website and your My-JEFIT News Feed Hub.
On this page you will be able to update your status, comment on your friend’s status’s/updates, add users as friends and respond to messages sent by other JEFIT Members.
We wanted our users to easily connect to their pages and post up an update so that they can get the feedback from their friends and followers on the JEFIT Website. This provides encouragement to help you push forward and strive to achieve your fitness goals.
At the moment this is a basic functionality but will be leading into much deeper functionality and features for social media connectivity, posting and usage through JEFIT.
The Buttons are listed on the top of the page as followed.
- News Feed
- Friends List
5.) New Getting Started Page for New Users
– For new users and those who open JEFIT for the first time, there will be a brand new Get Started page that will introduce you to JEFIT and the features that are in the application and website.
6.) Add Descriptions into Custom Exercises
– We have now allowed for users to add their own descriptions into custom exercises. Previously you were only able to put in some detail exercise information such as body part worked or the name of the exercise but with this update you can list how to perform the exercise as well with the description.
7.) Cardio Exercises – Interval Timer Updates Duration
– When you are performing/recording a cardio exercise, by using the interval timer, the application will automatically update the duration field to easily track and recording your cardio exercises.
8.) Auto Synchronization When Opening Application
– When opening up JEFIT with each usage, the application will automatically synchronize your data to the database.
This is beneficial for those who forgot to synchronize their data the day before or have an excess amount of logs that they need to synchronize over.
No data will be lost and all information will be saved and stored upon opening the application.
9.) JEFIT Free – Moved Ads from top of the page to the bottom
– We have moved the advertisements on JEFIT Free from the top of the screen to the bottom to allow for easier viewing of each page in the application and flow of the buttons/content.
10.) Exercise Database Changes
– To continue to improve our ever expanding exercise database, we have made some recording changes to improve recording your logs and description changes to easily understand how to perform said exercises.
11.) User Interface Changes and Tweaks
– We’ve worked hard to ensure that JEFIT provides an experience that meets and exceeds your expectations, so we have made a few UI changes and tweaks to various pages highlighting exercise detail, 1RM progress achievements and more.
12.) Bug Fixes and Performance Enhancements
We have also made various bug changes and performance enhancements to make the overall usage of JEFIT Free a much easier, enjoyable and fluid experience.
Download the Latest Update Now
What is Next and Ongoing
1.) iPhone/iOS Major Update
Now that we have completed this update our next focus is on the iPhone/iOS Update which we are planning a major update to include the features/functionalities from the previous 2 Android Updates.
2.) Ongoing Website Updates and Changes to My-JEFIT Pages
– We are continuing to update and improve the functionality and usage of the My-JEFIT Profile Pages. This has been an ongoing process and we will be adding new features to help you track and view your progress easier on the website.
* Reminder * : Please send all of your emails, questions, feedback, reviews and suggestions requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or post on the App/Website Questions on the Forums
Don’t forget to like our Facebook Page, Follow us on Twitter, Add us to your Inner Circle on Google + and review us on both the iTunes App Store and Google Play Stores!
We thank you all for your support and patience as we worked on this latest Android Update.
We hope you all enjoy and please give provide us with your feedback and reviews from this update so that we can continue to improve our product/services!
– JEFIT Development Team